Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Halifax Summary

If you are traveling for 3 or 4 days I do recommend having a blog for each day...  It is so much easier to put things to paper when the ideas and events are fresh in your mind.  I have not done that.

The Halifax trip was awesome, but I did not do what I know to be a suggestion and good advice for those who like to summarize and account for activities and events on a trip.  I will try my best. 

So Thursday night was great, but we got stuck on the airplane, on the runway on the airplane, for 3 hrs without moving.  That was not great.  We finally had wheels up at midnight, got to Halifax after 03:00 local time, a cab into the house, and it was 04:00 and we were quite tired from nothing.  Bed.

Friday morning was a biggish sleep-in until after 10:00.  A few of us went for a run - Then showered and had some grub downtown.  By 1:00 pm we had 70 cans of beer with us, a huge bottle of Bailey's, some food provisions, of course, and back at our rental house (6048 Pepperell) ready to take on the entire Atlantic Fleet.  Instead of doing that, we got into those Olands, Alpines, and Schooners, and by 4:00 we made it back downtown to check out some of the Halifax Busker Fest.  Not being too interested in sword swallowing or stilt walking - we went pub hopping for the next few hours.  There was a crew that including Dan, James, Dave, Gary, Matt, Rich, Sviene, and myself....  We acted and behaved just well enough for the remainder of the afternoon and evening.  Plenty of drink and food followed.  Of course - more needless bar hopping, music finding, and girl chasing for some = not me though. 

Friday was also memorable because each one of us had to buy a wedding gift still, or get a hair cut, or get something to wear, or this, or that....  I got my hair cut.  It did not surprise the stylist that the wedding was but 24 hrs away, and I was in the position with my hair that I was in - she said something like, "I am not surprised....  I have had grooms in here on their wedding day..." 

Rich and I = The sign was very for-telling because the night would soon be a mess for some.  But not us.

On Saturday morning I sort of got up early - another 10:00 am start, and did a sort of  Joel Plaskett and took the Dartmouth ferry - but took it to Dartmouth rather than to town.  I was off to Park Avenue to find the MacLeods.  I suppose I should have announced I was coming, because when I got there they weren't home.  However, their friendly neighbour said they would be home soon enough so I ran around Banook Lake for a loop and in 25 minutes, sure enough, they were home when I finished my exercise.  I got a tour of their house and neighbourhood - new to me, and had another brewski or two.  I made it back to our residence and began to fresh'n up for the reason I went out to Halifax in the first place - Andrew Coates' wedding.

Wedding was alright.  It was in a Catholic Church by Maitland Street.  It was fairly quick and nice.  Nothing too mentionable happened.  But wouldn't you know it we had 90 minutes or so to tick away before the reception and we went to a house a few hundred metres away to have a few beer.  And it was a busy place.  About 20 people made their way into this couple's place.  We were drinking a craft beer called Propeller.  By 5:00 cabs were called and it was off to this naval facility for the cocktails and reception.

Alex and Crystal rocking the reception:

The long and short of this part of the trip = it was great.  The facility was beautiful.  Food was great.  Drinks were cold.  Speeches were funny.  Entertainment was terrific.  It was a great, great, great night.  You would just have to be there - but what can I say?  It was live music, an open bar, great food, people letting go....  It was super fun.

I don't think people started waking up until 11:00 am on the Sunday morning.  We ate at a restaurant around the corner called Freeman's, and by 2:00 we were set to go to the beach.  So on Sunday we went to Crystal Beach which is about 30 minutes outside of the city.  It is on the North Atlantic ocean so the water temp was quite cold - in the 60's, but the air temp was nice.  We had a great few hours just catching some rays and hanging out.  On Sunday night we all went to the Upper Deck or Lower Deck or some place or other and saw the band Signal Hill....  Good times again.

Dave and I rocked out the speedos:

On Monday morning I hit up a 6 mile running race in Dartmouth.  I guess it was their 110th annual or something - All I can say about it is I won....  I won my new age group!  I was the first 40 - 49 athlete.  That is all I can say about the race.  Despite all my boozing and late nights I figured I would be a bit more representative in regards to my overall time - but I wasn't.  I went to the well early in this race and not much was there.  Oh well.  I ran 33:40.  I hit halfway in 32:30 pace....  So - ya....  Got to get some workouts in - and some hard ones at that...

Monday afternoon finished off this a nearly cart-blanche tour of Canadian Naval vessel 336; the HMCS Montreal.  The long and short of this story is a former Lancer track athlete who is buddies of the guys I was with is an officer on the boat.  It was his day off, the boat was docked, the boat was empty, and he is able to give tours....

This was rather interesting = A full narrated/guided tour with a passionate officer.  We got to go the the bridge, the engine room, the computer room, the diving locker, the helicopter bay, its eating areas, and so on, and so on.  I would say we got to see 80 percent of what was allowable.  No cameras or cell phones were allowed on board.  It was quite neat to say the least.  I can't begin to write or recap what was described, but it seemed like a great way to end the trip.  

Sviene and Sarah:

Flight home was anti-climatic - Back in Goderich by 10:30 pm Monday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.